The SNOM Board of Directors met on January 11, 2011. Highlights of the meeting include:
(1) We welcomed Erika Yoney, new State School Health Nurse Consultant to the Board.
(3) Step Up and Be Counted: National School Nurse Data Base- three data collections will be asked for again this the year. Erika Yoney, Liz Zeno and Mary Jo Martin are working on the project.
(4) The board reviewed and approved a proposal to upgrade needed website operation components. We will again be working with tdg Communications on this project, which is expected to be completed in Aril 2016.
(5) SNOM Board nominations and voting for Executive Board positions will take place this spring. Positions become effective in August 2016.
(6) Our own Cynthia Hiltz, MS, RN, LSN, NCSN, Health Service Coordinator for Anoka Hennepin Schools is running for the NASN Vice President position. Please seriously consider supporting and voting for her in the 2016 election!
We are half way through the 2015-2016 school year. That is kind of amazing! “Believe you can and you are halfway there” – Theodore Roosevelt.
Please remember – if you have questions or need some support reach out to a SNOM member!
Julia Bennett MA,BAN, RN, LSN named School Nurse of the Year
The School Nurse Organization of Minnesota is pleased to announce the 2015 School Nurse of the Year. This honor recognizes one licensed school nurse annually who emulates the profession of school nursing. Nominated by her peers, Julia Bennett is most worthy of this honor, as evidenced by her outstanding school nursing practice.
Julia has been committed to the students in the Minneapolis Public School (MPS) district for the past 23 years providing service and support to students pre-kindergarten through grade 12. After several years serving as the school nurse consultant for 10 alternative schools, and the high school resource nurse, she has transitioned this year to being an orientation coach for new Minneapolis nurses in addition to being the long time school nurse for Pratt elementary school.
Heiman named Nurse Administrator of Year
Mary Bielski Heiman, APRN-CNS, MS, RN, LSN , coordinator of health services for Edina Public Schools (EPS), has been named the 2015 School Nurse Administrator of the Year by the School Nurse Organization of Minnesota (SNOM).
Heiman joined EPS in 2014, after nine years as nursing services manager for Minneapolis Public Schools. Previously, she was a licensed school nurse in the Minneapolis district for four years, and a U Special Kids Program care coordinator at Fairview University Medical Center for 10 years.